Frequently Asked Questions

Fan Services Ltd – London & Greater London

contact us: 02035391475

FAQ’s – Fan Services Ltd

Our customers ask some important questions about their Commercial Kitchen Extraction and Ventilation systems from start to finish. We have put together a list of questions with answers and we hope this will help. If you have further questions, please contact us to submit your questions or you can call 0203 539 1475.

Licenses: Class E or Class A?

The Class E licence replaced the former use classes of A1, A2 and A3. This means you will be permitted for the change of use subject to planning application.

The planning officer will usually expect to see the following, to satisfy the change of use:

  1. Odour risk assessment: This will also include the full technical specification of the proposed extraction system.
  2. Acoustic report: This is also called a noise report, and this measures background noise levels to make sure that the new development will not affect the established legal noise levels in the area.
  3. Proposed drawings: drawings will contain all the internal and external layout and elevations of the building (with any changes you wish to add to the building. i.e. Extractor System, Ductwork Riser, location of bins, front of shop sign etc.

All of the above provides a general idea of the planning documents that you would normally need to obtain planning permission approved or the existing conditions discharged. 

A certified planner should be able to help you with exact details required for your site based on your site location and restriction.

How to calculate extractor hood canopy size

To achieve overall size of the extractor hood canopy, you would need to know the total width of your cooking area.

This includes measurements for all cooking equipment and any tables or stands (in between your cooking equipment).

Additionally you would need to allow 300mm overhang from each side of the extractor hood if the hood
is not installed next to a side wall.

The depth of the extractor hood canopy will depend on the deepest cooking equipment you have plus the 300mm overhang which is a gas safety requirement.

This gives a general outline of how to calculate your extractor hood size. Please contact us for further assistance.

What type of commercial extractor fan do you need?

There are many different extractor fan manufacturers, makes and models available. However, each commercial kitchen extraction system requires a different type of extractor fan.

The type of fan you install will make a lot of difference in the long run.

The type of fan you choose will depend on factors including:

  • type of cooking
  • the filtration that you have used on the system
  • the ductwork design
  • ducting size
  • the noise created by the fan (so as not to pollute the surrounding areas with excessive noise).

Contact us if you should require further help.

Commercial kitchen extractor fan is noisy

Noise generated by an extractor fan occurs for a number of reasons. Here are the most common:

  • Bearing noise – related to the age of the fan’s bearings and the cleanliness of the fan.
  • Motor harmonics – this is mostly related to the age of the motor and the
    way the motor is connected to the fan speed controller
  • Type and size of duct use

By replacing the fan bearings or the motor and making sure that the correct wiring is connected, noise issues can be eliminated.

Can residential-grade ventilation equipment be used in a commercial kitchen?

For commercial kitchens, residential grade equipment is not suitable. Commercial kitchens have additional safety requirements and aren’t designed to meet higher demands of a commercial kitchen.

What is make-up air?

Make-up air replaces stale air with fresh air. The stale unwanted air is extracted away from the kitchen to the outside of the building. It is important to prevent any negative pressure & to maintain correct air balance.

How can I reduce condensation?

Seek the help of a professional like Fan Services Ltd. In the meantime, to reduce condensation, ensure there is sufficient insulation and make sure you have a well balanced ventilation system. 

For a cold food preparation kitchen, is a ventilation system still required?

There is much to consider such as: what are the local regulations? What is the nature of the food preparation? It’s highly beneficial to consult with local council guidelines if you are not sure & you can always reach out and ask us for assistance.

Is there a better option for commercial extractor fans and hoods to improve energy efficiency?

Yes, for example there are more energy efficient hoods and fans. Having those in place helps to reduce not only the environmental impact but also the associated costs.

Can I install a commercial kitchen ventilation system in a mobile food vehicle?

Yes but it must meet certain requirements so everything is fully functional and can be run safely.

What's the worst that could happen if my commercial kitchen isn't maintained?

Eventually you will experience downtime caused by factors such as: reduced efficiency, increased kitchen running costs, very poor air quality, as well as increased fire risks as well as other safety hazards.

How can I make sure that my ventilation system meets local noise regulations?

Noise reducing equipment can be included in the initial design and planning of a commercial kitchen. Essentially work with professionals to have this implemented. Introducing components which reduce noise, can also help when aiming to meet regulations regarding noise.

What kind of material is ductwork in a commercial kitchens made from?

Commercial kitchen ductwork is made from galvanised metal. (Stainless steel is used to make extractor hood canopies).

Can an existing kitchen be retro-fitted with a commercial ventilation system?

Yes, it is possible. However it should be designed and installed by an experienced professional. Get in touch with us if you require assistance. 

How often should my extraction system be inspected professionally?

Ideally a professional inspection should take place at least once a year. This ensures longevity of your equipment as well as efficiency and safety.

Is there a minimum standard clearance for a commercial canopy hood over cooking equipment?

Yes there are. Clearance requirements can vary depending on local building codes and the type of hood and its design. If you are in doubt get in touch, and you can also refer to local regulations in your area.

Is it possible to install an extractor fan without installing a canopy hood?

In short – no. The extractor fan and the canopy work together in unison to remove unwanted odours and contaminated air from a kitchen.

How do I know if my ventilation system is compliant with fire safety regulations?

To know you are compliant, consult with a fire safety professional. Full assessment and approval will ensure local fire safety regulations are being followed.

What kind of kitchen extraction system maintenance can I carry out myself?

You can extend the life of your commercial extraction system. As part of your maintenance, and if you have the ability, you can clean filters, check extractor fan motors, check your ducting, and remember to resolve issues swiftly and professionally.

Can the same ventilation system used for the kitchen be used for the dining area?

Generally, it is recommended to have a separate ventilation for the kitchen, and one for the dining area. This prevents any kitchen odours and air impurities from entering the dining area where diners are.

How can I reduce the energy my kitchen uses? Can I reduce running costs?

Your kitchen might be slowing down for various reasons and this will affect how your kitchen runs and how high your running costs are. Also, you can take actions such as: using a variable speed fans, as well as using energy efficient filters, and more. Having your system regularly cleaned and maintained will help to maintain efficiency & keep costs lower in the long run.

Do I need planning permission to install ductwork?

This all depends on the installation and the extent of it as well as the location. It is always best to consult with your local council to see what the exact requirements are.

What does ductwork do & what's it used for?

Ductwork is essential because without it, it wouldn’t be possible to move contaminated air away from the kitchen to the outside of the building.

Is it possible to install a fan or an extraction system on my own?

Unless you are a professional installer yourself, we wouldn’t recommend doing it yourself. You need someone with experience in commercial kitchen ventilation where they will make sure everything is installed and running safely and compliantly.

How often should I clean grease filters?

Clean grease filters often to prevent grease from building up. Build up of grease increases the risk of fire, and makes extraction less efficient.

If there is a sudden fire emergency in my restaurant, what can I do?

If you have a  fire suppression system in place activate it. Make sure kitchen staff have left the kitchen and dial for the emergency services to attend your premises. Contact us if you would like further details.

What is the lifespan of a commercial kitchen extractor fan?

There isn’t a typical lifespan. It varies due to many factors , however with proper maintenance it’s around 10 to 15 years.

Are there any regulations governing commercial kitchen ventilation in the UK?

Yes, here’s a few you will come across: EMAQ, DEFRA, DW172. Be aware of the different building regulations, when it comes to ventilation in commercial kitchens.

How can I work out what size extractor fan I need for my commercial kitchen?

The size of the extractor fan depends on factors such as: size of the kitchen, the layout of the kitchen, the cooking equipment being used. For more informtion, contact Fan Services Ltd to see how we can help.

What is the purpose of a commercial extractor fan in a kitchen?

A commercial extractor fan is there to remove smoke, heat, unwanted odours, as well as grease from the air. This is all to make sure of a safe and comfortable environment for kitchen staff and diners.

Fan Services Ltd Head Office

Suite 44, 2-3 Coleridge Gardens, London NW6 3QH, UK. Telephone 0203 539 1475